Hoochie jigs are really simple to make and can be very effective.
Even though you can buy these jigs commercially, they are cheaper to make yourself – which also lets you get them just the way you like them.
You don’t need any tools for this. For materials you’ll need:
You can find more information about fishing for pink salmon – lures, techniques and locations – at the Pink Salmon page.
For a mini hoochie jig:
- Take your jig head
- Slide the mini hoochie up the hook until it is at the head of the jig
- Add a little super glue to keep it in position
And that is it. Once the glue is dry you can immediately fish with it.
For the larger hoochies
- Cut a small hole on the head for the hook eye to stick out of
- Push the jig head into the head of the hoochie – lining up the hook eye with the cut you made
- You can add a few drops of super glue if you want, but it is usually not needed
You can customize the setup if you want as well. Some ideas are:
- Tie some flashabou onto the hook
- Attach a stinger hook